Supported Independent Living Levels of Support
- Lower needs – support is not 24/7 and usually only includes supervision of living arrangements.
- Standard needs – support is given 24/7 and includes assistance with most daily tasks
- Higher needs – support is given 24/7 and includes positive behaviour support for challenging behaviours aside from assistance with daily tasks.
Benefits of Supported Independent Living
Living with strangers might be a big adjustment but the following are the things that you can benefit from it:
1. Promotion of independenceThough access to care and assistance with daily tasks is always present in SIL, you are still given autonomy over how you would like to be helped and supervised. You are empowered to make your own decisions regarding your care.
2. Availability of support 24/7The great thing about SIL is you having the best of both worlds– achieving independence while having access to support services when you need it. Assistance with daily living under NDIS is available for you:
- Personal care and grooming
- Managing medication
Support workers are available 24 hours a day, so you can get support when you need it so you can focus on living your life to the fullest.
3. Social opportunitiesA major advantage of supported independent living is the opportunity for socialisation with others. You have the chance to interact with your co-residents on a daily basis and form lasting relationships with them. Supported independent living also often offers group activities for the residents, such as outings or social clubs. This can help improve your social skills and well-being.
4. Reduces feelings of isolationWhen you live on their own, sometimes you can feel isolated from the community. This can bring about feelings of loneliness. SIL provides lots of opportunities for you to feel a sense of belonging and improve mental health.
5. Develop new skillsSIL can also help you learn and develop new skills with the assistance of support workers like cooking, taking care of household tasks, budgeting money, etc. Also, with the many opportunities available, you can also develop new hobbies and interests. These new skills and experiences can help you live more independently.
My Support Services: Daily Living With NDIS Support Services Made More Accessible!
Want to live independently while still being able to enjoy the benefits of shared living and 24/7 access to supports? My Support Services is here to help! With our supported independent living you’ll certainly have doors of opportunities open for you. It’s the perfect balance between independence and support.
Decided already or have any questions? Get in touch with us now!